Tuesday, August 27, 2013

YOP #8 or This is What Happens When I Must Start ALL the Projects NOW

After successfully being project monogamous for 3 weeks(!?!), my fingers were itching to play with new things.

First the oldest WIP:

Fuzzy


I've decided that the blankets name is Fuzzy. I have no logical reason other than the yarn is fuzzy. Part of me feels it's silly to name projects but on the other hand...I like it better than just a generic description.


Fuzzy is now 19 inches long! It's taken a lot of patience to get this much done. I have no idea what it will look like once blocked. I'm thrilled that the cables are reversible. I suppose I should take a picture of that as well....

I was a little worried that I wouldn't be happy with the new pattern but I'm thrilled with it! It's about 24" wide. So far, there are 2 skeins (3rd one is in progress) in the blanket. In the first version, most of 2 skeins only had me at about 5 inches high. I can either plan on using a total of 4 or 5 skeins. I'll probably just knit and make my decision as I go. Surely there becomes a point where a blanket is just too big, right?

Now onto the two newest wips....

Tulip Socks

My bonus kids bought me a lovely skein of yarn for Christmas. I started making one pair of socks out of it and decided the pattern just didn't work. I showed it to mom who agreed and suggested I make the Tulip socks from the April 2013 Cookie A Sock Club. I've not gotten very far on them, but they are started! I think I felt compelled to make these socks for two reason:

  1. I like that Husband got his kids to buy me yarn. I LOVE the yarn and I want them to see me using it and knowing that I love their gift and that it's just not sitting in a drawer gathering dust bunnies.
  2. Neither of the August sock patterns screamed MAKE ME.



Waves of Love

This is my first shawl and it's a gift. I'm absolutely loving the yarn. It's Filament o' Squid from Indigodragonfly and it is a dream to work with. I've never worked with sea cell yarn before but I could easily get addicted to this yarn! It's the June club shipment my mom got for us.

I'm going to need to switch to circular needles soon but it's been nice to bring out my straight needles. Mom gave them to me as a Christmas gift in 2011. I've only made a handful of things on them since I've been so sock crazy lately. Husband is still to blame/thank for my sincerely getting into knitting. Knitting gloves for his youngest inspired Mom to buy me these needles and I sort of got hooked. Then came sock knitting and it seems I've been swallowed up whole!


I think this coming week is going to be more of the same. Fuzzy is soon to be an "at home" project as it's getting to big to deal with knitting while walking outside in the ridiculous heat index right now (I believe it was suppose to feel like 105 degrees F today). The Tulip socks take pattern reading and marking right now, so that's another mostly at home project. At least the shawl has a fairly simple pattern right now, making it travel worthy.

Finished Objects

Works in Progress




9 comments:

  1. I love the progress you have made and that is a very lovely colourway for the Tulip socks. Out of curiousity, are you in the yarn club for Indigodragonfly? Is there one to begin with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I am in the Indigodragonfly yarn club! Mom and I only did the half year with an added mystery skein. Here's the blog post about June's yarn: http://www.indigodragonfly.ca/2013/07/smart-ass-knitters-june-2013/

      Delete
  2. Really loving Fuzzy and you are making great progress on it. Love the yarn the bonus children bought and I think your right on the socks and why it should be. Waves of love is looking fab !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's very lovely yarn from the kids. I was impressed that they picked a colour that I love!

      Delete
  3. All three of your projects are great. But........I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color of the Tulip Socks. Purple is my favorite color so of course I love it. heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blanket is SO pretty and I love the color. Are there yarn of the month clubs? Tell me it isn't so! LOL! I dare not get involved with that or do I?
    I love the sock yarn...the bonus kids did good! Do they need a bonus grandmother? Do you walk and knit outside in this heat? I would walk into the lake or trees or a car! LOL! Keep up the great work! I too have just started casting on like a demon....I think it's because Fall is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are yarn of the month clubs. I know of a couple of local yarn shops that do them as well as Sweet Georgia and Indigodragonfly. I'm sure there are others but I've stopped looking. I don't need much yarn right now....

      They are already confused with one bonus grandmother, so I'm sure another one would confuse them even more. ;)

      I do walk and knit in this heat though not as much as my hands get too sweaty. I blame my skill on Disney's Beauty and the Beast. I decided when it came out that if Belle could walk and read, then so could I...and I did run into things at first. I got much better though!

      I think fall is a likely cause for the insane amount of casting on I'm doing.

      Delete
  5. The blanket is looking great! And I love the colour of the sock yarn, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete