Tuesday, August 20, 2013

YOP #7 or How Camping Can Interfer with Knitting

Late to post once again. Maybe this week will be better.

Last week I went camping with my family. I brought the baby blanket along to give me something to do while my husband was driving. Except we were taking a very specific route so that we could make to where we were going. The fun part about owning an electric car is that right now, you can't just get more energy when you run out. You have to plan where you're going to stop before you leave. I ended up doing more navigating than knitting, though I did get one pattern repeat done. We stopped in Sparta, WI for a recharge and lunch. There was a yarn shop! It was closed but we'd be back through at the end of our trip.

When we got to the campsite and unloaded the car, I left my knitting in the car. Not because I was worried about getting it dirty but because I wanted to focus on the family. Husband went and moved the car to a place to charge it while we were there. When he got to the campsite, he had my knitting. It was really sweet of him to bring it and I did work on it a little bit, but not much.

We did take a short walk to a play area (which turned into a short hike because we took the "short" route back to the campsite to make lunch) and I took my knitting along. I managed one row while walking and then it was a cable row. It's hard to cable while walking.

On the drive back, we did stop in Sparta again. As we needed to kill time, we did go into the yarn shop. Husband even picked out some yarn (100% merino fingering called Zitron Unisono) so I can make him some gloves. Of course, he has hidden the yarn from me until I finish another project for him first.... At least he's finished the design for that one. I drove back so there was no knitting for me.

The good news is that my blanket is almost 16 inches long now! I do need to take some new photos to update.

Hopefully this next week will be more productive in the casting on of new projects.

3 comments:

  1. At least it was something enjoyable that took you away from your knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they need an "APP" for routing for electric cars to align with charging stations as needed! Sorry you didn't get to knit, but it sounds like you had a good time nonetheless. Gavin usually waits in the car outside yarn shops :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of anyone owning an electric car, it's interesting that you have to go out of your way to charge it! And looking forward to seeing blanket pictures this week!

    ReplyDelete