Friday, August 2, 2013

New to social knitting

Back in June, I went to a knitting group that meets at a local bakery. I've been lurking on their meet-up page for a while but hadn't been able to go as there were other priorities, mostly work related. It was a lot of fun and then July happened and I wasn't able to get back. They started to do the 2nd and 4th Sundays as well and last Sunday I decided I was going to go to it. I made a point of doing some work around the house (mostly cleaning up my craft room) and going to the Scary Place (Costco) for some much needed milk and other supplies so that I could go and eat a French dessert and still feel like I had done something productive at home.

It was a much smaller group but it was a lot of fun. It was nice to simply sit and knit and chat for a while without having eye rolling from my husband. I love him but knitting isn't really his thing. He doesn't always appreciate yarn the same way other knitters do. Everyone was impressed with my self-dyed yarn for my Tiberius socks and they were all impressed with the pattern. I had no idea that Cookie A socks were so impressive! I mean, they are beautiful and a lot of fun to make but I didn't realize how many people seem to be intimidated by them.

Last night I went to another group that I've been meaning to get to, but they only meet every 1st, 3rd and 5th (when there is one) Thursday of a month. This group met at a church, which I kind of like better than the bakery. The bakery has very yummy things but there are also other people who tend to be loud. Not that knitters are the quietest group of people on the planet but it's nice to be able to not worry about speaking over people in a bakery. I saw some lovely patterns and my Tiberius yarn was again admired. It was a very lively bunch and a lot of fun.

I hope to keep going to both groups. While I've hung out with friends and worked on crafts before, there was something different about going to a place that wasn't someone's home and knitting. I really enjoyed it. It was a chance to be social in a smaller group without having to dive into the drama of my life, which my closer friends are use to me doing, but getting to be around people. It was also dedicated time to knit with nothing else demanding my attention which was nice.

The best part? I came home last night to a box of yarn from my mom! Some of it she had even spun herself for me. It's quite lovely. Now I just need to get faster at knitting....

1 comment:

  1. I've gone through the same thing. I am always surprised when a knitter doesn't know who Cookie A is and I'm amazed when people are impressed with the socks as if I designed them myself.

    And I also see that I'm not the only one who goes to 2 knitting circles/groups.

    ReplyDelete