Sunday, July 21, 2013

YOP Update #3

Since last week, I've actually managed to make decent progress. I have a really awesome chiropractor who adjusted my neck and arms last Monday so I was able to work on my projects. One even got finished.

Birthday Bag
 Back in April when I went on the yarn shop hop, I purchased a kit to make the above bag. It included everything I needed to finish it. It was mostly completed back in June. I waited until I got home to block it as it would be silly to block it and then to pack it in my luggage. Then I needed to run the string through it. The blocking went smoothly but I kept putting off adding the string. Mostly because I knew it didn't have to be finished until this week. I had purchased it to make and give to my youngest step-daughter who loves not only the color purple but also purses, bags and containers that she can hide things into. It was fairly easy to do once I looked back at the pattern to remember which row was the eyelet row. In the photo above, it's standing so nicely because it has a napkin stuffed inside of it. Without that, it sort of lays limply on its side. It should be fine once it is filled with gifts for a 9 year old.

Baby blanket
Now that I've got the 3rd repeat done of the pattern on the blanket, I'm liking it. I'm glad I didn't get discouraged and rip it out. It's about a fifth of the way done and is just over 2 feet wide. It's currently around 7 inches tall. The nice thing about it is that I can mindlessly work on it while doing other things, such as playing D&D, which is exactly what I did last night. Using much larger needles is speeding the process up so I think I'll actually get through this before the end of the year. I should check with Husband and see when is his cousin's daughter's birthday as it would make a nice birthday gift.

Tiberius Sock
These socks are from the June 2013 Cookie A Sock Club. I made myself finish the socks from the April shipment before starting these. I decided I wanted to make them in yarn the color of Captain Kirk's uniform. My mom happened to have dye that was the "correct" color so we dyed some white yarn that I founded at a local shop while I was at home. I had purchased a skein of "Snow" Cascade Heritage Sock Yarn.

While this yarn felt amazing and took the color beautifully, it's been nothing but a headache. When we went to dye it, neither of us noticed that the skein was only tied off in one place. This meant that as we soaked it before the dying that the yarn became a tangled mess. While we noticed right away, there wasn't much that we could do. After it was dyed, we tried to wind it into a ball. The skein was such a mess that it wouldn't even fit on the swift. Mom ended up winding it into a ball without a winder. When I got home, I rewound the ball. Twice because it kept knotting up. When I finally got to the color change (my choice), the yarn, which I pulled from the center, eventually became horribly tangled. I spent a large amount of time on Friday trying to untangle the mess that it had become. The yarn ended up having to be cut a couple of times as the mess was impossible to untangle. And since I was knitting both socks at the same time, there wasn't a free end that I could use to help. Additionally, I didn't want to rip out what I'd already knit in hopes that the knots could be taken out.

I spent part of Saturday going through my yarn stash. I've pulled out yarn that I know I'll not use. It either has too much acrylic content (yarn I'd bought before I paid attention to fiber content) or is an unknown material or is too small for me to feel I can make anything useful. These will soon be re-homed elsewhere. While I know my step-daughters would love them, they don't actually do anything with the yarn they already have. The younger one wants to learn how to knit but I don't know how to teach her. The eldest makes crocheted chains. That's it. When she makes a "dress" for their dolls, she just makes a chain and then wraps it around the doll. And until they actually make things, I think it's safer that they don't add more to their stash.

Finished Objects

Works in Progress

12 comments:

  1. Love the bag and the baby blanket is really coming along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! According to my math, I'm almost 1/4 of the way done with the blanket now. This makes me ridiculously excited.

      Delete
  2. Waiting until the due date before finishing a project? That's me exactly! A highschool science teacher once told me I'd make a good University student LOL! Love the purple with the beads!

    Sorry about your yarn tangles. I'd be terribly frustrated and probably throw the whole mess in a bag and toss it in a cupboard. Good for you for sticking with it! And the gold looks perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am notorious for waiting until the last minute. I blame it on working in theatre and in lighting in particular. So often I don't know what's going to happen until the last minute! I wish I could take credit for the choice of beads but it was what they had put together in the kit. I think they were a brilliant match.

      I don't mind too badly untangling things. There's a bit of zen to it. And it was the only project I had with me that day at work, so there wasn't a cupboard to ground it into.

      Delete
  3. I love the bag, it's a really sweet thing to fill with presents for a small girl, and I bet she'll be really please. The beading pattern is gorgeous.

    And it is a shame about all the tangles. I have a feeling I'll be having the same sort of problems when I attempt to wind my own dyed sock yarn. I've just skeined it and left it for now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The look on her face when she saw the bag was priceless. I'm glad we captured it on a camera! She loved and it then was amazed that I had made it.

      I hope you have better luck with your sock yarn.

      Delete
  4. You are so great about having a variety of projects to work upon. Everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've been "struggling" that I only have 2 going at the moment but I want to get both of them done NOW so it's probably best to not start any others yet!

      Delete
  5. Love the bag! It will be perfect for a 9 year old :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And indeed it was perfect for her. I think all her other presents paled in comparison to it.

      Delete