Thursday, July 18, 2013

YOP Update #2

Sunday is typically update day in the Year of Projects group on Ravelry. I, however, decided to brush my teeth Sunday morning and managed to tweak my entire upper back and neck by turning on the tap. That meant no parkour, no knitting and no blogging for me. By the end of the night, I was able to get a little neck movement back through stretching, a heating pad and a husband willing to cause me pain by rubbing the knots in my neck.

Box weave on original blanket
Cable on original blanket
I did manage over the last week to start a new project. More accurately, I restarted an old project. My husband asked me to make a baby blanket for his cousin. I started one back in April and was frustrated as I was making up the pattern as I went and the needle size I was using meant the blanket was going to take forever. I didn't want to frog it either because it's a fuzzy yarn and it knots really easily. When I was visiting my mom in June, she ended up frogging it for me! I've apparently not practiced enough at frogging to be at the expert level. I felt it was time to redesign and restart the blanket. The original one had cabling and a box weave pattern but it wasn't reversible. I strongly feel blankets should be reversible. I have no idea where I got this notion from but there it is. I'd been unhappy with this blanket as it wasn't going to be reversible. Then I learned about reversible cables.  That was what I was going to do. After doing a million other things, I finally sat down and wrote out the pattern. Now that I've started the blanket and am on the second repeat, I know I'm going to have to rewrite the pattern as I completely screwed some things up. It's a good thing that I wasn't looking at the pattern but at the stitches so that I got the cabling right! I've been a little unhappy with it but now that I've started the second twist the cable, I'm feeling better about it. Husband simply says it looks like a blanket, so I guess that means it's acceptable.

For this week that I'm already past the middle of (and will hopefully update on Sunday like a "good" knitter), I've been spending a lot of time debating a project. I want to make this for someone and the yarn I want to use is lace instead of fingering as the pattern calls for. So I'm going to have to do a gauge swatch for it. But that means winding the skein and I have no swift. So I'm currently putting it off but I also really want to play with the yarn because it's from Indigodragonfly, who I have come to love and adore. I'm also feeling a bit selfish and want to use this particular yarn for myself though I know that it's going to be loved by the person I'm going to make the shawl for. I know that I will feel very awesome for giving it to her and even though it's a non-repeatable color, I also know that she will most likely it wear it more than I would. Besides, there may be something even more awesome that I'll want instead.

Current lists

Finished Objects

Works in Progress

2 comments:

  1. Love the colour your using for your baby blanket and I hope it works out this time. Will be a lovely gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your neck is ok! It's rubbish when you hurt yourself in a stupid way. And the blanket colour looks lovely, looking forward to seeing it!

    ReplyDelete