Monday, July 8, 2013

International Scarf

This scarf if pretty special. Right now, it's on it's way to Japan to be given to my step-son's host family. He's spending 10 days in Japan on an all expenses paid trip. 

This past Tuesday we finally got the information for the trip and there was a mention of gifts for the host family, which didn't surprise me. I had already mentioned it to my husband that something would be needed. On the paperwork, there was a note about something handmade. When I went to visit the college I ended up going to and when I did a home stay in England, my mom sent me with handwoven alpaca (or llama, I don't remember now) scarfs. I wanted to do something for my step-son, to be able to contribute to his experience. So I decided to knit a scarf. 

The last scarf I made took me a long time. You can probably guess why by this picture:

That's an 18 foot long scarf. It took months and months to make. I didn't have months and months to make this scarf and my step-son certainly didn't have the room to pack a scarf this massive in his suitcase. I had 5 days.... It was a good thing I was on vacation this last week as I dropped all other (okay, there's only one other project right now) projects to work on this scarf. My husband and I took a trip up north and I knit the entire time in the car, 3 hours each way. I even frogged the scarf at one point because I didn't like the needle size.

I'm mostly happy with the final project. It's not as long as I would have liked and it wider than I had intended but by the time it was giving me a good idea of how it was going to shape up, I didn't want to frog it again. It turns out that the host family live in a "Siberian type" climate so this scarf will make an excellent gift. My step-son was a little reluctant at first to bring it because a scarf is a "weird" gift for July. I'm glad he decided to bring it. I even had time to block it, which gave it a little more length. I can't wait to hear what his host family thinks about it when he gets back.


No comments:

Post a Comment