Thursday, July 10, 2014

YOP #2.1 or Starting Over!

It's the start of my second year of projects and already I'm running behind. Who can blame me though? After nearly 6000 miles in a car over the course of 2 weeks, it's hard to be motivated to do anything.

After getting back late on Wednesday, I had a day to rest. That evening, I took out my Browncoat Top (so named because the colorway is "Captain Tight Pants") and started working on it again for the first time in almost a week. As Husband and I were watching a movie full of explosions, I realized that I had messed up the pattern somewhere along the line and things weren't lining up. I could have just kept going but I was afraid that it was going to screw up my stitch count, so I ended up frogging the entire thing. Again. To say I was frustrated is probably an understatement. Husband paused the explosion filled movie and tried to ask me questions (that part didn't help). I got him to eventually back off and worked on casting on again.

Over the course of the weekend, I managed to get past the point where I had to frog. I've managed 2 full repeats of the eyelet pattern so far. I'm grateful to know how to knit backwards as it means less of a tangled mess every other row. I'm working off two skeins since they are hand dyed. Knitting backwards means no flipping the piece. It's also the semi-mindless part of the project. Even though it's a very simple pattern, I'm discovering that those 8 stitches have to be closely minded, otherwise I lose where I am. I think that's what caused the issue that led to frogging. I wasn't paying enough attention and added a yarn over, which messed things up. I managed to get as much knit as I did because I didn't have to drive over the weekend. There was still driving but I only had to be the passenger.

I'd love to get a Cookie A sock cast on and finished before the end of the month but I have a feeling that I'll be lucky if I manage to get it cast on. Probably more importantly is knitting a swatch for Husband's driving gloves so I can finish that design (I had a sketch started and I have no idea where that piece of paper has wandered off to....somewhere "safe" most likely) and get them knit before the State Fair this year. I'd love to enter them. If nothing else, I should get them finished before winter so he has them for this year. Especially since I was going to make them for last winter...

Works in Progress

5 comments:

  1. Long haul of a drive, good to hear your back safe though, bummer to the frogging I'm not sure I would have had the will power to cast straight back on so well done for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe stubbornness runs in my family. Insanity gallops through my family, which might also have something to do with it... Thanks. :)

      Delete
  2. At least you worked out where you were going wrong. Hope you get on to your husband's gloves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. They are a very belated gift at this point. I'm a little intimidated by the whole design my own intricate pattern thing (gloves are complicated in my opinion) but I'm sure I can find one as a starting point.

      Delete
  3. Great for sticking with it after frogging and I am fascinated with your plan to design gloves. I am right there with you about the "where did that piece of paper go" conundrum. I lost a crochet hook this week that was right there with my project.....3 days now and I still can't find it....leprechauns!
    I love the brown coat item. I like the style and that might be a good first foray into the realm of sweater making for me. As always...I love socks!

    ReplyDelete