Monday, March 31, 2014

YOP #39 or Finding the Gold Vein in the Rubble

This past week should have been fired except it managed to redeem itself at the end. It seemed to be a week full of slip-ups, fires and forgetfulness. I managed to forget over the course of several days the following:
  • Music for a rehearsal
  • Keys for work
  • Camera to document work
  • Double pointed needles to finish hat
On top of that, the apartment building that my bonus kids live in with their mother caught on fire. The apartment two floors above theirs to be specific. That led to dashing about trying to rescue a hedgehog (I knew they weren't going to let us near the building let alone inside but if I drove the teenager down there, I knew she wouldn't be able to just try to run past the police). The hedgehog was rescued by a building caretaker and came to stay with us for part of the week, so that at least worked out. There was also teenager drama (trying to establish boundaries with teenagers who aren't use to them is fun, really). So by yesterday, I was definitely going to fire the week. But then something amazing happened yesterday.

I started to think of all the good things that had happened.

Earlier in the week, after the last post I wrote, I went and looked at my TARDIS shawl. I think I may actually know where I am! I've been so intimidated by it, that I haven't even bothered to look. Feeling frustrated (and a bit flippant about the project), I pulled it out and looked at it. I could clearly see where the increase ended, so it was just a matter of counting. It's actually a fairly easy pattern once I looked at it again. It's intimidating because it's lace and there's so much of it and it looks all the same. I blame my desire to get my craft room clean again as the culprit. This desire forced me to actually look at the project again.

I finished another project this week. The gray alpaca tam is finished. It's the one that I was hoping to donate to my church for a fundraiser. They needed it yesterday but I didn't finish it until last night. I emailed the person in charge of donations and said I could bring it by today. I'm sure I'll hear something either way at some point today.

It's finally starting to warm up, though it did snow on Friday. I wore my Blood Orange Newtons to try to keep the snow away. Someone who I told this to commented that at least the snow wasn't sticking.

Possibly the most comfortable socks I've made for myself to date.

I'm hoping that this week I'll finally get to taking pictures of things that I haven't documented yet. Perhaps even today. Rumor has it that it's suppose to get up to 60 F. 

Instead of casting on another Cookie A pattern (I might as well wait; I believe I've got another week until the next patterns are released), I've cast on what was going to be just a Plain Vanilla Sock. I got done with the cuff and realized I'd go cross-eyed in the brain if I did that, so I've added an eyelet pattern. This would be my first sock design. If I like it, I'm going to write it up and have the pattern tested.

There were other amazing things that happened yesterday and actually earlier in the week that are related to work (I got to hear Osmo Vanka, former conductor of Minnesota Orchestra, play clarinet yesterday) but the thing that really pushed my mind back into a happy place was something written on the sidewalk in chalk on the University of Minnesota campus. It simply said "You're Amazing". That little innocent street writing changed my outlook for the entire day. Husband doesn't know that yet (he will once he reads this post) but I'm sure he'll appreciate knowing that something helped my spirits when it was such a hard week.

Finished Objects

Works in Progress


4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a month's worth of drama jammed into that last week. Glad it's behind you! Sometimes I think shoving a project in the closet for a while is a good idea. There are patterns that kicked my ass repeatedly that I can suddenly manage just months later. It's just the way it is. And I still can't do swaths of linen stitch, since I seem to go on autopilot and starting purling the slip stitches. Gah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's mostly behind. There's still teenager drama to deal with *and* I have an opera at work that loads in this weekend. I do like knowing that I can ignore something and then something magical happens in my brain and I suddenly get it. Autopilot is always frustrating. I did that once with a pair of Cookie A socks during a gusset (the pattern was decreased in the gusset but had changed from the leg) and had to rip it out. I grounded that project for a few weeks. The second sock was so much easier. Husband also felt the need to sarcastically comment about how "relaxing" my hobby seems while I was ripping out stitches. I may have glared at him....

      Delete
  2. Glad you survived....remember "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger"! I'm evidence of that and the "drama" never seems to stop...it's just takes a sabbatical occasionally. Glad the little critter and everyone survived. I can't think of a more terrible disaster than fire although that mudslide in Washington state was pretty horrific. I know there are always awful, horrible things that happen in this world so my little "upsets" are nothing compared to them. Deep breathing also helps! LOL!
    I just started that afghan again from having "abandoned" it years ago and lo and behold I am having success with it! Who knew? I remember how frustrated I was years back when I tried repeatedly to master it's stitches and now....not a problem. Maybe that's life...it's all in the timing. Have a great week!
    Oh, I faved your Newtons as they are so pretty and when you said "most comfortable" that sealed the deal. TTYL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to say I work in theatre so I can keep my drama to a minimum. Or at least I can handle the drama on stage because I'm in control of it (I'm mainly a stage manager these days). It is nice to step away from something and discover that it's no longer frustrating.

      I did "cheat" on the Newtons and made them with a short row heel which I learned from Ann Budd. I like it better than the heel flap (and there was no gusset to deal with). I don't know if it was the pattern or the yarn or the heel but they were so comfortable. I didn't want to take them off.

      Delete