Monday, October 21, 2013

YOP #16 or Signs You Might Be a Whovian*

I've had some pouting this past week. Some unabashed thrashing of annoyance and not just about knitting. I'm feeling burned out about the dog. While I'm not the only one who takes care of her, I feel like I'm the only one who takes care of her. I'll put down my knitting and take her outside if she's giving me the signs. Nothing is more sacred than making sure the dog doesn't make a mess inside (not actually true; God does come first but the dog's bladder comes before my knitting). There was (unsurprisingly) drama with at least one child this week. Then there was my knitting drama. Turns out, as mentioned earlier, that I purl backwards. On a whim, I also looked up yarn overs and I do those wrong as well. I've been doing make ones using a backwards loop instead of yarn overs. Most of my knitting angst has been over the Fruity Tulips. I need to frog them but I don't want to. Frogging will mean rewind the ball so that it can be used again without having a huge mess of frogged yarn to deal with as well. I guess the plus of all of this is that I'll know if the needles are the right size as I'll try the sock on before I frog it.

I did frog the other started project, another pair of test socks. I've frogged those several times now as I've kept screwing something up. The cuff is a lovely twisted cable in two colors. After at least 3 attempts, I have finally gotten that onto needles and have significant length to them. Husband got to see them yesterday morning and he commented that it would be a perfect along a sweater sleeve. It looks like he's back to mentally designing his dream sweater.

Yesterday morning, I finally started on Bigger on the Inside. My goal is to have it finished before the end of November so I can wear it at Chicago TARDIS. I have learned that it's not a good in the car project because of the lace work. One small bump and I drop a stitch that I can't find and have to frog the whole thing. This one has also been cast on three times already.

The best part, to me, of my two projects this week is how they are very geeky. Bigger on the Inside is pretty obvious as a Whovian* project. It's designed by a Whovian. I'm knitting it with Vice Carnal in Police Box. The yarn is very yummy but very slick, which is probably why I keep dropping stitches. The test socks pattern is called Twisted Cable Socks but I'm calling them The Angels Have the Police Box. Why? Because it's being knit in Don't Blink and TARDIS colors from Indigodragonfly. I'm using their Rock Paper Scissors Lizard Sock yarn because Doctor Who colors weren't geeky enough for me. I also happened to have those two colors in that base (thanks to Mom) so I could happily be geeky with the socks.

Hopefully this next week will see progress (and pictures) on all projects and perhaps I'll even get around to blocking Waves of Love. Husband, being a very smart man, has forbidden me from frogging it even though the purls and yarn overs are completely wrong.


*Whovian: A fan of Doctor Who

Finished Objects

Works in Progress


5 comments:

  1. Hope you're feeling vented now and are happier and knititng away!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you do all the purls backwards and the yarn overs reversed, then it's a design element! I wouldn't frog it. After about three months on Ravelry I learned that I twisted my knit stitches. I finished all my WIPs and then relearned it. Annoying, and often frustrating, but I'm glad I did it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy, sounds like you hit a bit of a rough patch! I know the feeling when you want to frog but you don't. At least now you've discovered what wasn't going right.. Hope you feel better this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I feel like watching Doctor Who so I can understand all the fun references!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Euuughhh sounds like one of those weeks, hope things are better for you now and your happily knitting away. I'd not frog either, I'd finish and then on the next new project re-learn.

    ReplyDelete