Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Progress

It's now Wednesday evening and I've impressed myself with my knitting progress!

Second sock
I've not had more time to knit. I've actually had less as my husband has been out of town and his kids have been with me the last couple of days (custody with step-kids can be fun; I'm only a part time parent! It's also annoying as they sometimes come home with odd ideas in their heads) so there's been little time to knit. Monday night I did end up watching a movie and used that time to knit. That helped me get some done on it. I think one of the biggest things is that I've started to master knitting while walking. It's about a 10 minute walk from my parking spot to my office and now that it's warmed up enough (apparently I can knit when it's around 20 degrees Fahrenheit), I've been knitting as I walk. The pattern is simple enough that I don't have to think too hard about it and it gives me time to do it in.

When Disney's Beauty and the Beast came out, I was determined to be able to walk and read at the same time. I still do that to this day, mostly successfully. At least I don't break out in song. It's probably the lack of sheep and a fountain that cause that.

Recently I've been reading about knitting. Reading knitting patterns and how to knit and the history of knitting. As I checked out the first knitting book from the library, I sighed to myself and thought that I'd become my mother. This is something my inner teenage-self is probably raging about but I tend to ignore that voice these days. Turns out knitting is really interesting. And it turns out that back in the day, women would often knit while walking. There's an old photo in one of the books I'm reading that shows some women knitting as they walk back from getting peat moss. They aren't walking in the photo, but are standing still but the point is that they would knit while the walked so they didn't waste time. So now I knit and walk at the same time because it's cool. And time saving. Now if only the car would drive me to work on it's own, I could knit then.

Something that is even more exciting than sock knitting and my amazing progress happened this morning. My youngest step-daughter, while watching me knit, asked if I could teach her how to knit! She's been watching me knit for months (I knit when we watch movies and really any free moment I can otherwise I'll never knit ALL OF THE THINGS) and I think she's finally braved up to asking. Her sister crochets and weaves on a small loom (no pedals, so I'm not really sure what to call it; a lap loom maybe) and we did a family weaving activity at the Art Institute so the youngest now has her own loom. But it all requires attention and I've never used the sort of loom she's using (I've only used a full loom to make a ridiculously ugly scarf; I was about 13 at the time and still have the scarf. It's cool.) so I can't give her pointers but I am getting rather clever at this whole knitting thing and we certainly have enough of a yarn stash (note to self: going to yarn swaps is very dangerous for me; one day I'll take home less than I brought but that may be a while) to have something easy to begin with. Now to just figure out how to get her hooked on it when I know I had no interest at that age to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment