Wednesday, August 13, 2014

YOP #2.6 or This Is What Happens When You Ground All Your Projects

This last week, I did manage to get some work done on all 3 projects. However, I also felt like grounding all of them.

I got to see my friend who will be receiving the Mint Twist socks. I had her try the finished one on and discovered that the heel flap isn't quite long enough. I happened to be on the heel flap of the second sock, so it was easy to add to that heel flap. The semi-perfectionist in me knows that I'm going to pull out the stitches on the other sock to make the heel flap longer. I want to finish (or at least get further on the foot) the 2nd sock and have it tried on before I frog the foot of the 1st sock. It does make it hard to want to work on it though. I got through turning the heel and it's just been sitting there, mocking me. I don't know how I'm going to frog the foot of the 1st one and not loose any stitches. It's a rather lacy pattern. I'm sure somewhere on the internet, there is something that will tell me what to do. I just haven't felt like looking it up.

Husband's gloves got frogged eventually. They are even back on the needles and I've started doing the thumb gusset. But I don't want to deal with it when I go out (I usually always have a knitting bag with me). It spent most of the week going places with me, mocking me that it needed to be frogged.

The Browncoat Top is fairing alright but it's not one that I feel can travel to and from work very well. It's larger and while the pattern is fairly simple, I like checking it every now and then. This was the least frustrating project but it does seem like it's taking forever. I do have less than 3 repeats of the lace section left.

So none of the projects were really grounded but they might as well have been for how much I worked on them. And of course, this month's Cookie A yarn came and I really just want to cast something on with it and ignore my other projects.

Works in Progress

6 comments:

  1. I love knitting garments for me, but there does come to a point where it seems to be taking forever!! At least you found out about the socks at this point and can hopefully do something about the first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you can fix the sock now that you've discovered the problem, much better this way than to gift those gorgeous socks for them to languish in the back of a drawer unworn. Hoping you feel more in tune with the rest of your projects this coming week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you have a variety of WIPs goin' on. That must be one special friend getting custom fit socks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's tricky ripping back on lacy and cabled patterns - crossed stitches and yarn overs are easy to lose! I pull it all off the needles, rip back to a couple rounds before where I want to be, and then tink back the remainder. Still tricky though, especially considering the size of the stitches typical for socks. Using SMALLER needles can make life easier when picking up the stitches - less tugging and less likelihood of pulling out and dropping adjacent stitches. Alternatively you can try to thread a lifeline through the knitted fabric before ripping - although this tends to work best in stockinette. And finally I don't pay any mind to how I pick up the stitches - if they're mounted backwards on the needle after picking them up, then I just fix'em on the way back. And finally, if you want back up then maybe do it at a knit night at a local LYS. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grounding and time outs are best for naughty WIPS. They behave themselves for a bit afterwards... But like many children... Sometimes need reminders.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shame about the socks, but you're wise to rip back so your friend has a pair of wearable socks. I seem to recall reading somewhere about putting in a lifeline, although I've never tried it myself.

    Love the Browncoat pattern...........hope you enjoy better progress with your knitting this week.

    ReplyDelete