Monday, April 21, 2014

YOP #42 or The Answer

In case it hasn't been apparent, I'm a bit of a geek hence the Douglas Adams reference in the title of this post. It does have me thinking that if this is my 42nd week (I can't say post as I've missed quite a few) of the Year of Projects blog-along, then there are only 10 weeks left. Suddenly I feel like I'm back in school and that I need to cram to get all my studying in before finals are due. As a theatre and music double major in college, most of my finals were final projects or performances. Thankfully some saner part of my mind poked me and reminded me that I'm not competing with anyone here except maybe myself. It's about challenging myself at times, but, more importantly, it's about having fun and sharing it. The bigger challenge for me might actually be the blogging part of it. I've been pretty good at the knitting part though I haven't reached some deadlines that I had set for myself. While some (including myself) would be discouraged by this, I'm trying to keep in a positive mindset and see how much more I've accomplished in the last year. Heck, I wasn't even knitting in July 2012 so I'm way ahead of myself.

Onto the projects!

Currently there are only two projects that I'm working on, which feels a little odd.  I do need to start the 3rd dog but I've really been focused on these two projects.

The TARDIS shawl is in being decreased. More accurately, the first section of it is being decreased. It's amazing how knitting 24 rows only decreases 6 overall stitches. I'm hoping that this is the most tedious part of the project. It's the same stitch pattern with a slight shift between rows but if I don't pay close attention, I have managed to screw it up a few times. Hopefully next week I'll be posting a picture of the second section having been started.

In a world in which I don't sleep or work and only eat through an IV, I would have this finished by May 2nd so that I could wear it at the Minneapolis Comic Con. I wouldn't be sane enough to go to it but it would be finished. I would probably also look like an evil minion.

My travel project is a pair of socks. It's my pattern. As in, I'm making up the design. I'm using a sheet that Ann Budd handed out at the class I took from her to get the base numbers but the leg and foot pattern is my own. Currently, the design is called Vanilla Eyelets because it's mostly a vanilla sock pattern with this little eyelet pattern added in to keep it interesting.


This is a "radio static" yarn (as Husband refers to yarn that doesn't stripe nicely and loses intricate patterns with the colour). I've somehow managed to get the colour to sort of stripe or at least clump together. My understanding is that this is pooling but I'm honestly not sure. Husband does like how it looks much better than every other pattern I've attempted with this yarn (two Cookie A patterns which kept getting lost). The simply eyelet pattern seems to be just enough to make it more than just a "boring" sock. I'm hoping to eventually write it up and have it tested before releasing it out into the world.

Finished Objects

Works in Progress

4 comments:

  1. That is a pretty sock and the eyelets as you say add just a touch of interest to shift it out of boring sock into something interesting and fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the sock and the colour. Any more intricate and you would lose the pattern anyway with the pooling, but with eyelets to avoid boredom - perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that is pooling, I love pooling! It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete