Sunday, June 2, 2013

The sock that will never end

Shortly after my last blog post, it was pointed out to me that I apparently can no longer read and process English properly. No one was harsh enough to say it in that manner, but I certainly felt that way. When it came to the heel flap of the pirouette sock, I was reading the instructions for the right sock. I was knitting the left sock. Beyond that, I had read the instructions as knit between 3 and 19 stitches, which confused me to no end. What the instructions really say is knit the 16 stitches in the panel, knit 3 more stitches and you'll have worked 19 stitches.

So once I comprehended English again, I was fine.

Until my brain decided to go on auto-pilot.

As I was working the gusset decrease, I realized 12 rounds in (it takes a while to notice these things) that I had added a decrease where there wasn't suppose to be one. This decrease happened earlier on the leg. My brain or my hands simply decided that since that was the pattern, I should just keep doing it. At least I noticed it before I had finished the gusset. I only had to frog it to where I picked up stitches.

I've successfully finished the gusset and started working on the foot. I somehow lost a stitch on the top of the foot, though I see no dropped stitches anywhere. I have no idea what happened and have decided that it doesn't matter. I simply added an extra yarn over to "fix" it. When I glanced down at the yarn leading to the skein tonight, I noticed this:


Yes, that's part of the yarn that hasn't actually been spun and is more fleece than yarn. I could either cut it out or just knit it through. Mom recommends cutting it out and weaving in ends later. Two friends recommend just knitting it. I'm leaning towards the just knitting it camp as I really want to finish this sock because then I have to do the other sock.

I've got a mantra that's helping me get through this silly sock. I keep telling myself that I can skate 25 laps in 5 minutes, so how hard can a sock be. I never dreamed my roller derby would get into my knitting head! At least it makes me a little less whiny to myself. I apparently needed to finish getting the whine out though. I should start offering cheese...

But this sock will get finished! Both of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment