Monday, September 14, 2015

YOP 3 Weeks 9, 10 and 11 Updates

Two Three weeks have managed to slip by before I've had the chance to write about what I'm knitting! Between the internet being a little screwy and wanting to spend more time with people than on the computer, it's no surprise really. (I started this last week and just never got around to finishing it. The internet has been fussy but I guess that means I have more to write about now!)

I have had plenty of time on my Apollonia socks. Everyone loves the color. The first one is done and I'm moving right along on the second one. The leg is nearly finished. It would be amazing (and actually might be possible) if I got it finished by next Sunday. I won't hold my breath too long though.

The first sock. The purple is so much more amazing than it appears here.

I've decided I need to learn how to double knit. Husband has requested I make a gift for a mutual friend and he'd like it to be multi-colored. This means double knitting in my mind so that both sides are finished. I picked up some yarn at Goodwill last week to work on this project because there's no way I'm going to teach myself on full price yarn. I got two yarns that are close in size and contrasting in color. It's been an interesting process. Not my favorite yarn to knit with and tension has been awkward. I knit in the English style, so I'm struggling to keep even tension between the colors. I have seen tools out there that can help with this when using multiple colors but I'm not sure it's worth the price. I did remember after the first few rows that I needed to twist the yarns so that I wouldn't end up with a gap/hole on the sides. There are definitely holes on the sides for the first few rows. The entertaining part of this was examining someone's sweater and determining that part of it was double knit. He quickly took off the sweater as it got a little weird and we were at church.

Netflix has recently released NCIS on its streaming service, so between loads of laundry, I watched that and worked on Browncoat. The shoulders are seamed! I actually had no idea how to do it, so finally looked it up. Much easier than I thought it would be. There are going to be so many ends to weave in.... One armhole is almost finished (5 rounds are worked to finish the edge) and the other one should go just as smoothly (I hope). A couple of more things and then I block it. The more I look at it, the more I wonder if this is really meant for someone else. I have a friend that I think it would be perfect for though it would end up being bigger on her as I used the pattern sized for myself. I guess blocking will tell.

Finished Projects 

Works in Progress

6 comments:

  1. The purple in the picture is pretty amazing, so I'm wondering how much more amazing it is in person. :^) What I can see (in the link) of the Browncoat, looks very nice. I look forward to seeing the finished item.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the purple in the Apollina. Looking forward to seeing the finished Browncoat. Best of luck with the double knitting, I knit English Style and when I double knit I tend to just hold both yarns in my right hand just as I would normally, I tend to hold it slightly looser, the main thing I find though is learning how to keep that tension even and compared to normal regular knitting my tension might be a tad tighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting, I want to learn to double knit as well. I bought a subscription to Creative bug for my sailor top and the second class I got was one for double knitting, I have yet to try it though. Looking forward to seeing your browncoat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The purple of the sock is beautiful, really vibrant. Keeping my fingers crossed that you'll finish the second sock at the weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as if you are on the verge of finishing a couple of projects - very exciting. I gift away lots of items that were meant for me originally. I seem to have a difficult time imagining how a pattern will look on me and get sucked into how much I like how it looks on the model. Usually there is quite a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you like Apollonia and the yarn - neither one was my cup of tea!

    Good luck with the double-knitting. I tried it on a hat and mitts set and it was really pretty!

    ReplyDelete