Wednesday, December 11, 2013

YOP #21-23 or Goodness, is it already that time of year?

It seems I've gone several more weeks without blogging. This whole blogging once a week thing is still as hard as I remember it to be back in college. As it was back in college, this time of year always seems to be busy for me. In college, it was mostly filled with exams and year end concerts. Now, it's mostly filled with year end concerts. Even with all the insanity of the past few weeks, I have managed to finish a project. I didn't get two projects finished by the end of November as I had hoped to but apparently I needed sleep. And to make a spacesuit.

I made everything but the climbing harness, boots and gloves. He picked out the fabric and convinced me to let it be entered in the Masquerade. We won our class!
I will be writing more about the spacesuit in it's own post. I need to take some close-up photos to finish the documentation phase. In case, you know, I want to make another one. And, like any artist I know, I not only can point out all the things that are wrong with but I also have ideas on how to improve it. I am very happy with it though. But first, more knitting things in the post.

I'm still working on the Angels Have the Policebox Socks. I keep redesigning what they are going to look like in my head. While I was at Chicago TARDIS, I pulled them out a lot not only to work on (though not as often as I would have liked) but to show them off to people. There were those who were also knitters, so I was working on introducing them to the awesomeness of Indigodragonfly. The rest were simply Whovians who I knew would understand the humor of the name. These were originally going to be socks for me but with how stretchy they are feeling, I decided that Husband should have them even though he thinks sock knitting is a bit silly. He works from home often and it will be nice for him to have nice, warm socks.Now I just need to finish the second sock. The cuff is mostly done. The horizontal cabling looks really cool but that whole having to seam it together before making the rest of the sock makes me a little angsty.

No real progress on Fuzzy or the TARDIS shawl.

I did finish my first colorwork project ever.
It was meant as a Christmas present but Husband as already been given it. It's been stupid, gross cold out for over a week now (we seem to be lucky if we break 10 degrees F right now) and would have had it sooner if I'd not put off weaving in ends and connecting the tube. And there was the ever present spacesuit that needed to be worked on. Of course, Husband likes to wear it as a hat/crown accessory instead of around his neck but he loves it so I'm happy. And I seem to have impressed at least one friend with the fact that I've made it. She's not fond of colorwork but she makes amazing things.

It also looks good on the dog.
 
Finally, I've cast on a hat for my younger sister. She's a vet in the northeastern part of Montana, where it gets even stupider cold than here. She needs/wants a new hat that is girly, so I'm making her one. It's OMG Pony Pink color (in Husband's words) and I'm using a Cookie A sock pattern that someone else had already turned into a hat because I've not been knitting enough Cookie A this half of the year. I've called the hat Here Fishy Fishy because at some point, my sister posted that as a facebook status update and now it comes up every time she calls me. It's quite a stretchy pattern but I will admit that I'm worried that it's going to be too small and I won't know until it's nearly finished.

It looks like it will stretch to about 24", which is larger than my head (I think; I did measure my head but that was last week before a head cold decided my sinuses would be a fun place to vacation). I'm hoping for the best. There was the gauge of the original pattern, which I believe I'm getting, but none on the blog post with the modification. Gauge still makes my head feel funny if I think about it too hard.

I'm hoping that this project will kick me back into knitting Cookie  socks. Of the 12 designs we've received this year, I've made a total of 3 of them. I know it's not a race to complete them and that I shouldn't feel bad if I don't because even the ones I have finished had led me to doing new things which is exciting. Husband also thinks I should finish all my WIPs by the end of the year. We'll see if that happens. Between concerts and being stupid sick (I did a little knitting today on my day off but I've barely touched it because I don't feel like knitting; I may be dying), I'll be happy to finish any project at this point.

Finished Objects

Works in Progress

6 comments:

  1. My husband has lame ideas about me needing to finish things according to his schedules, however I am working to disabuse him of the notion that he should have this much input in what I do and when. It starts with me not making dinner. Ever.

    I love Cookie A. patterns but I do find that they sometimes are more clever and interesting than actually well fitting.

    Space Suit = AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's very cute that Husband tries to dictate things. And I would love to have everything off the needles for the new year (as well as several projects that aren't even on needles yet) but I know it isn't realistic. While he was still making our bedroom door, whenever he gave me grief about starting something new or not having finished something for a while, I pointed out that I still didn't have a bedroom door. Of course, now that I have a bedroom door, I need him to start another impossibly long project that I can reference. :D

      I haven't knit a lot of socks but I have found that the Cookie A ones I have made have seemed to fit better than the other, plain ones I've made.

      Thank you about the space suit! It turned out much better than I thought it would!

      Delete
  2. That space suit is amazing, so awesome! That cowl looks really warm and cozy, happy your husband loves it! And the picture with the dog is too cute too.. And that is pink hat is amazing, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that it doesn't come out too tight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm beyond pleased with how it came out.

      The dog wasn't very amused about wearing the cowl but she'll let me get away with anything. Husband wasn't amused either as it meant there was dog hair on the cowl, again. He put it on her first. I was simply doing it again for the sake of documentation.

      Last night, I had gotten far enough on the hat to realize that it was going to be just a little too small, so it's been frogged and recast on with size 0 needles. I'm hoping that it will work on this so I don't have to do math!

      Delete
  3. How often do you even get to think, let alone say, I need to sleep and I need to make a space suit.. Great space suit BTW.
    Your sock looks great and your cowl is very impressive to me, having never done colour work, I can imagine the end sewing to be horrible though....enjoy your hat knitting, and feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I often say I need to sleep, I do believe it's the first time I've said I needed to make a space suit. Of course, that one may have been the gateway into crazy cosplaying, so I may be saying this more in the future....

      It turned out the end sewing wasn't as bad as I thought it would. The colorwork was all done with slip stitches and carrying things behind, so there were only ends to weave in at each pattern/color change. The kitchener stitch in the round, on the other hand....that was a pain. I got to the end and realized I managed to screw it up somewhere along the line but I was done with it so I let it be.

      And I'm definitely feeling better! Probably one of the few show weeks (I work in theatre) where I get multiple days off during the week so I can rest and feel better. Of course, if I worked a "normal" job, I wouldn't have had to go in until I felt better.

      Delete